Slummin' It



I’m always cautious about recommending films as I know an over hyping can sometimes disappoint. But if I am to recommend one film this year (I know we’ve just begun it but hey) then it has to be Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire. Okay so it’s India by numbers with the kind of cultural references you might expect from an (albeit informed) outsider’s view but sometimes you have to include such weighty images to tell such a big story in so little time. And what the film lacks in subtleties it makes up for in action, suspense, beauty, style and brutal honesty.

I’m not quite sure if comparisons in general are lazy or effective, rude or flattering, but I can’t help thinking of this as the Indian ‘City Of God’ and I doubt I’ll be the only one to make that connection. I don’t see this as a bad thing however, both attempt to speak truths in a way that buries them into you, and both are f**king great movies. Go watch this as soon as it drops... oh yeah and the soundtrack is great too. I thought AR Rahman’s name at the end was simply a nod to Bollywood, as the film does subtly, respectably and justifiably pay its dues throughout. But it seems he did produce an overly chunky part of it (in fact all but the two versions of Paper Planes it would seem) and he adapts himself well to Boyle’s style of direction.

(YSI) A R Rahman & M.I.A. - O...Saya

(YSI) A R Rahman ft. Palakkad Sriram & Madhumitha - Liquid Dance

Posted in , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search