Bonde Do Role Live @ 10 Feet Tall, Cardiff 14/8/08

I have to admit I don’t really know what to make of Bonde Do Role. There’s no denying they make some phat Baile Funk party tracks, and their choice of samples I find fun and quirky where they could easily venture into cheeseville. In fact, f**k it I’m a fan of their music for definite, so essentially I should be bubbling hard as they take to the stage at 10 Feet Tall in a drunken sexed up rampage of rhyme and rhythm, and I am… for a bit.

It’s possibly because I’m stuck in festival mode where no matter how good the artist I find it difficult to last more than 20 minutes of a set before I see something shiny that takes my attention away again, but I think it’s more than that, some how I feel slightly cheated. Now I’m pretty sure I’m not having a go at Bonde Do Role, they do what they want, they have fun with it and they do it well and that’s as it should be. But for some reason, seeing this bunch of geeky looking, well to do Brazillians in a nice little club like 10 Feet Tall had me crying out for a phat seedy warehouse with wall to wall speakers run by drug dealers in a favela someplace, maybe it’s just me.

There are all sorts of issues to do with authenticity in music, some are to do with race and social positioning. In Bonde Do Role I’m sure sits a whole bunch of these issues but to tell you the truth I don’t want to get into them, because I probably don’t agree with them. For some reason though, I can’t help but feel them tonight, and something just doesn’t quite sit right.

Still, despite their drunkenness they are tight and definitely lively on stage, although I have to say the grinding and breast rubbing going on is far from attractive… maybe it was that which caused me to wander off.

Downstairs, the pasty shop doors and windows are rattling. Probably just as well the sound man walked out before the band even got on stage, Bonde Do Role, definitely needed to be loud… and they were. I catch the murmur of the rest of their show from outside before going over to watch Death Set (who were delayed as they’d come over to see their friends BDR play) in Clwb Ifor Bach, they were pretty good too… for a bit.

In a perfectly timed delivery, LA DJ / Producer Troublemaker dropped me a copy of his new edit of SK87's remix of Bonde Do Role's 'Gasolina.' I heard more than a few complaints that Gasolina wasn't performed at 10 Feet Tall, so as a consolation here it is along with the Fake Blood Remix too.

(YSI) Bonde Do Role Feat. The 87 Stick Up Kids & Micah James - Gasolina (SK87 Remix - Troublemaker Edit)

(YSI) Bonde Do Role - Gasolina (Fake Blood Remix)

ps. Random fact - DJ Gorky is named after Gorky's Zygotic Mynci and is a big fan of the Welsh group apparently... well I never.

Posted in , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.